Monday, September 26, 2011

Lightening up - a bit

It's conference time.  It didn’t sneak up on me this year because I have been rehearsing with the Priesthood Choir that will be singing in the Saturday PM, you guessed it, priesthood session.

Frankly I didn’t know if I could make it through the rehearsal process.  I have aged a bit since I sang in choirs, and I used to have a rule that I would only be in good ones.  As a MDT major at BYU that was an easy resolution to keep.  I know how snotty that sounds, but when you have sung for prophets and presidents it’s hard to get excited about being the entire bass section. A little something dies. I want to keep it alive and remember back when I sounded good: a go-out-on-top sort of thing.

This Priesthood choir isn’t bad, and we get to sit behind some general authorities that I admire so much as well as the prophet.  Plus, with 360 members I am not the only bass.

So I lightened up on the music/choir resolution a bit. 

I have also lightened up a bit in something else I used to feel so strongly about.  I used to feel that I had to broadcast my opinion of Gay/SGA rights so loudly that people had to either stand back or put ear plugs in. I think I was so brazen that people stopped listening to me.

I still think the same way – which gays/SGAs/homosexuals – whatever the popular label is these days - can thrive in the Mormon community. I am just not as in their face as I used to be.  I would rather get the information out there and let them come to their own realizations.  I can’t force anyone to do what I think is right regardless of how loud I yell or how cleaver I am in a blog.

I do feel that those SGAttracted can hold offices and can teach classes, and can use the priesthood power with the best of them.  I wont pull back on that stance even if I turn the volume down a little

1 comment: