Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Counterfeit rant

Getting the rant over with first thing:

Has anybody else noticed that many national news sources have commented on the counterfeit families remark excepting the Deseret News which has remained silent? Come on, Deseret News. You are making life hard for Mormon Apologists. There is a story there, and clarification to be made. Make it. What a perfect opportunity for the LDS Church, through it's news entity, to do a little PR. Does the Church mean that any family that is not traditional is fake? NEWS! Don't wait until everyone has put this in the drawer before you have a comment.

I listened to conference. I heard the "counterfeit" comment. In context I didn't have a problem with it. He seemed to be saying that the family was key, central, the core of society. I agree with that ideal with all my heart. He seemed to be saying that we should not accept any substitutes for the family. And I agree there too.



Is a two parent family ideal? Would a child have a better chance with two parents? Yes -- I believe that. (Mormons says that one man, one woman is best.) I know of one-parent families with a dedicated parent that thrive. I also know of families that are so "not-traditional" that it is confusing for me with my little mindset of "this goes here and that goes there".

I am as supportive of them as I am of anything "traditional". Our job -- my job -- is to love people and support my brother and sisters regardless of the decisions they make.

Do I believe that God wants a man and a woman to marry and have children be sealed in the temple and make covenants and keep those covenants? YES

Do I believe that there are those who won't, can't or don’t do that and go about raising their families in a different way? YES

Do I believe that there are those who choose not to participate in families but can still make decisions to be constructive members of society? YES.


Dallin H. Oaks at one time mentioned a system of making decisions: Good, Better, Best.

"We have to forgo some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families."

I know what I want for my life, what I think is best. I make my decisions accordingly, and I believe in allowing others the same.
May we all have access to the spirit and make the best decisions we can make.

"We should begin by recognizing the reality that just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives."  - Elder Oaks

No comments:

Post a Comment