Thursday, June 20, 2013

"Giving people options isn't dangerous" states ex, ex-Exodus leader now admits

A  Christian ministry that advised those with a same sex orientation who, are "seeking freedom from unwanted same-sex attraction," has decided this week to shut down shop and board up its windows, it announced today.  Exodus International, who opened for business in 1976, has voted from within its board to shut down shop. 
"Exodus presented itself as an institution in the conservative Christian world that helped gay men and women out of being gay with claims that it could cure being gay.  "But we've ceased to be a living, breathing organism," stated ex-Exodus President Alan Chambers in a statement posted on their website. 
Yes, a straight man picked this jacket
in 2009 to wear for a press release
The announcement came after an open apology to GLBT groups made on the same site hours earlier.
 
"For quite some time we've been imprisoned in a worldview that's neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical."
"It is strange to be someone who has both been hurt by the church's treatment of the LGBT community, and also to be someone who must apologize for being part of the very system of ignorance that perpetuated that hurt," continued Chambers. "Today it is as if I've just woken up to a greater sense of how painful it is to be a sinner in the hands of an angry church."
"Exodus is here for people who want an alternative to homosexuality," Chambers stated in a release to The Associated Press in 2007. "There are thousands of people like me who have overcome this. I think there's room for more than one opinion on this subject, and giving people options isn't dangerous."
Today his statement is slightly different.  Now he says that he "conveniently omitted my ongoing same-sex attractions.
If I may take this opportunity to say, editorially, that I FREAKING TOLD YOU SO! AND SO HAVE THOUSANDS OF GAY MEN AND WOMEN FOR DECADES!!
Here are some of the points he made in his press release:

Now, I can gag at adds like this. 
I can come out of the closes as an ex-gay ad gagger.
  • I was afraid to share (my homosexual feelings) as readily and easily as I do today. They brought me tremendous shame, and I hid them in the hopes they would go away. ...The days of feeling shame over being human in "that way" are long over, and I feel free simply accepting myself as my wife and family does."
  • Saying he was "deeply sorry" to the LGBT community, Chambers said he understood "why I am distrusted and why Exodus is hated." However, he also said that he wouldn't apologize for his personal beliefs against same-sex intercourse and same-sex marriage.
  • I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn't change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents.
  • I am sorry that there were times I didn't stand up to people publicly 'on my side' who called you names like sodomite - or worse. ... I am sorry that when I celebrated a person coming to Christ and surrendering their sexuality to Him that I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart."
  • The announcement  from Exodus and Chambers also made reference to reducefear.org as a potential new ministry. The website says it is "under development" and had made a request foe interested visitors to provide their names and email addresses.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment