Friday, November 6, 2015

Day after quarterbacking - a silly sports metaphor for something very serious

Yesterday afternoon I quickly posted the breaking news as soon as I could type. It was not because of any journalistic responsibility but because I was shocked, hurt, anxious, angry, aggravated -- a lot of other 'A' words -- and so full of differing emotions I thought I would explode.

Usually I seek out a few people on these type of issues who I trust before I publish my opinion --  just to make sure that I am not expressing a moronic opinion or at least that that I have my facts straight. I did check my facts but I didn't get a chance to speak with many last night. I just blew it all out in print.

Today I feel much the same way as I did yesterday when I first saw the report. The only difference is that I am breathing now.

I am sad for our children. I don’t know how I am going to explain this to my adult kids if the case should present itself. I don’t know how to speak of this to fellow members, or non-members, or in-active members – or even ex-members who have been hurt by LDS policies/procedures in the past. I have written this religious/gay Mormon blog under a pseudonym for years, and this topic is so hot that I am thinking about taking the week of work to research and inform.

(Like I am not sitting at work writing this now)

In trying to make sense of this: I understand that the policy on those who are vocal against the church has always been to treat their children with care – assuming that those children are interested in being part of the church. I didn’t think they were required to move out of the home -- as the adult children of gay married parents are being asked to do now. I haven’t wrapped my head around this yet.

I have read that those children of 8 years of age would have to get permission from their parents to be baptized. Yes, that could be painful. But is it any more painful than requiring that adult children of same-sex parents only be baptized if they have moved out of their home and renounced their parenting?

In trying to step back and be objective -- I generally feel that everything happens for a reason. I also believe that there are reasons for things that we can’t see, or understand or even imagine.

My friend, John Gustav-Wrathal -- one of the people I try to connect with before I make an idiot of myself -- reminded me that things got better for everyone including the LDS church after the mess that was California's Prop. 8. And I see that this is true.

Maybe -- possibly -- the reason for this is something like this: Mormons will have to take a stand.
  • Luke-warm will no longer cut it. 
  • Will I stay true to what I know? 
  • If I don’t know what I have pretended to know, am I going to do what it takes to have a knowledge? 
  • Will I choose to forgo what I know for what I think I know? 
  • Can I voice an opinion to something I believe as an attempt to instigate change and maintain my belief in the Gospel/church/divinity of Jesus Christ? Can I do this without creating personal or public derision that is at least as bad as what I oppose at the moment?
  • Do I believe that the prophet speaks for the Lord?
  • Will I ask for personal revelation?
  • Will I still treat all people with respect, and love them for who they are regardless?
This is a quote from Eliza Partridge Lyman resonates with me. Her husband was on a mission in California and had left her with "no flour nor any way to get it". She wrote, "Jane James, the colored woman, brought me two pounds of flour, it being about half she had."

Another friend I try to read before I post said this: 

"Our God is a God of miracles. Expect them and learn to see them. Love everyone, for each of us is intended to heal and to bless each other, to be the miracle in another's life. Don't assume that the present moment of hunger is permanent."

I believe this with all my heart.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I am sad as well. I won't get this point of view at church. No one talks about this at church.

    ReplyDelete