Friday, January 29, 2010

Proposition Ate My Homework -Revised


Should Gay Men Marry Men?



I'm not sure I am up to this essay. I posted it, un-posted it and here it is again. Taking a stand is better left for the smart and strong. Honestly, I feel as nervous as Obama without a teleprompter. (Had to work that in)

Let's jump right into it. Is there a god? Does god have the power and knowledge we usually associate with someone so omnipotent and ominous? Would he have the authority and knowledge to establish structure?

If the answer to the above is yes, then are we/can we be privy to his mind/will?

I say "Yes" to all the above. I believe that God does have the power (Reminds me of He Man). I believe that he is all-knowing. And I believe that he can communicate his will to those on earth, and that he does so through his prophets.

Imagine that, if you are saying “neigh” to the general thought process of most of the world, and that you do, for the sake of argument, believe in God, and that he knows everything, and that he can tell us what he knows and that he does this through a dude in SLC – Thomas S Monson today, and before that Gordon B. Hinkley.

If we believe this, then do we choose to follow the prophet or no? And what does that mean? Does following the prophet mean that I have to create or uphold laws that insist marriage is for M and F? If I do that, are my other brothers and sisters screwed? If I had chosen to go a different route and had tried to find a man to be with as a team and partnership and marriage instead of a woman, would I feel the same?

Somehow, I think that no. I would be fighting for my rights. Just as I feel I did in the war in heaven. I was on the side of freedom of choice and you would probably recognize me if the veil was lifted. I fought, and I fought hard. And I don't think Lucifer likes me very much.

Originally at this point, I published the parts 'o the PROCLAMATION ON THE FAMILY. I believe it is scripture - words reveled to the prophet GB "the man Hinkley. I still recommend everyone read it - even if you have in the past, even if you think you know/remember what it says.

Honestly, if you read it without agenda and don't see good in it for families and children, you may be too agnostic to get anything out if this silly blogspot. Even the staunchest gay rights supporters that I know have praised it, at least in theory, for trying to protect the family as an institution. There is a little difference in opinion at one point. Well, not so little. (Name that movie if you can)


I think if we substituted for "Man and a Woman" for something like "those in a committed relationship" (there is a reason I am not a classical or political writer) every reasonable human would applaud - mostly for the reason that it creates safety for children.

I think that most would agree with, and here are a few high points of, the proclamation...

1. ...the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children.

2. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

3. ...the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between
...those...
lawfully wedded...

4. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God's eternal plan....

5. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by...
those ...who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities.


It's like a freaking manual for excellent parenting! Of course, I substituted "Those" for "Man and a Woman" if you remember. But it reads like Dr. Spock or some other scholarly 70's reference equally as vague.

So, where does this leave a hunk of people who want to have families and validate their relationship?

I think that the Proclamation is inspired. Does that mean that I should interpret it to exclude those wanting what I have? In a marriage, I mean? I don't think so.

Could the answers change in the future as it did with the priesthood became available to all worthy men? Maybe. Do I know the reason for a possible future change? No, but I would follow the council and be thrilled for everybody affected. Do I understand why it is what it is? No. I have ideas and opinions though – like everybody who cares. Bottom line for me: I don't know why. I don't know why I don't know or if I ever will know while on this earth.

What if the real test is not who gets married and who doesn't, or who has kids and who doesn't, but how do we treat each other when we have HUGE disagreements over what we think is right.

I am Mormon. I am gay. And I am proud to be a man. And I want to find a way to do this blog-thing so that everyone feels important and validated and loved.

That is all I really know.


Thanks, Michael. I think I got it right...er this time.

5 comments:

  1. Bold blog. I think a lot of us are in the position of trying to support what we think is best for families in the long run, and wanting everyone to have rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, having seen in the annals of history and in real life how many biological families have been destroyed, regrouped with perfect strangers or extended family, finding peace and solace in these souls, I think that "family" any group of people you can actually feel safe and loved. A lot of biological families, including those sealed for time and eternity in the temple living in perpetual hell. My parents were good examples.

    Therefore, regardless of sexual orientation, religion, social standing or income level, I think there are safe "families" in each category, as well as unsafe families.

    I don't see any reason why gay couples, lesbian couples or any other group of people should be denied the opportunity of raising children, as long as they are safe. I do realize that "safe" could be somewhat controversial, but heck, there are plenty of "good" Mormon couples who are not safe at all in raising children.

    I don't think the universe runs just the way that the Mormon church says. It will never add up to me. BUT, having said that, I absolutely support and love all my devout Mormon family and friends. It is about love, afterall....

    Thanks for letting me spout. Good thinker, good writing. Sending all best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the proclamation to be inspired also. I am also leaning to believe that the church as a whole leads for the masses. The Spirit of the Lord directs our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't gay couples and lesbian couples able to adopt under current laws? Do you have to be a couple? I have a friend who addopted a kid and he is widdowed. Is it about the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me it realy has become an issue of what is best for the kids. Being as most gay couples are going to have to do something political to get a child, it seems to be a political issue.

    ReplyDelete