Friday, February 5, 2010

How Else Will We Know?

What really makes Kermit the frog tick?

Do you ever worry that we spend an exorbitant amount of time reading/blogging/studying about how to live our life, and not nearly as much time actually living it?

But we have to see how other guys are doing it, or how else will we know...right?

How else will we know?

My home-teacher is a biker. Not a Harley biker like my dainty little sister from Idaho, but a bicycle racer with the helmet and the Lycra and the whole bit. He's a former football player that was on the local high school's team when they won the state championship. He is married with kids and has a stable job that puts food on the table and clothes on his family. He does well with it. He likes it. He goes out biking on long treks and even finishes a few of the races. His exercising helps him stay fit and active, and he feels good.

Then he goes home to his wife and kids. Sometimes he comes over to my house and we talk about BYU football and I make fun of his shaved legs, and he makes fun of my gut. He does not feel the need to go home and study his next move in the being a man game. He just is what he is.

The happiest people I know don't study how to be happy. They just are. They have found a way to live with a different focus – one that is not necessarily aimed right back at themselves. They do things. They act on positive impulses. The are pro-active with what they know. If they don't know, they give it a shot.

One of the drawbacks to being a sensitive guy is that I analyze and over analyze much to the point of being so busy analyzing that I have no time to go out and do what I want. Sometimes I think I don't know what I really want because I CAN'T FREAKIN' MOVE!

I think I am going to move today. I'm writing this down, maybe even throwing a spell check on the dang thing, and then I am going to go somewhere. I might even take someone with me. I'm going to find what makes me tick by doing something, not by reading something or blogging something. Today is for doing. Today is find my bliss day. If not my bliss, at least some bliss.

If I come back happier, singing some stupid song and my kids are making fun of me, then you will know I did it right. If I don't find it right off, I'll try again tomorrow.

I might borrow me some Lycra and a bike.

8 comments:

  1. If I aggree to this blog, do I have to stop reading? JKing Good blog and blogspot. Its not just for MoHos anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is your best blog. Congrats! Yes- move, do something for yourself -- borrow Lycra and bike, and don't forget to do something for someone else in the process, (i.e. get off the bike and pick-up the garbage someone dropped and dispose of it correctly). You go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this. I really appreciate it. I started the evening feeling lonely and depressed about now having anybody to spend Friday night with. I just happened to hop on facebook and saw that one of my friends (who is kind of cute) was looking for something to do. So we went out and saw Avatar together. We had a great time. It was nice to just spend some time with a good friend instead of staying at home and pouting. Thanks for reinforcing my decision. I hope that you had a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nah. i'll just stay here in my chair and read. but I'll wear lycra while i'm doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lycra! My old friend. Have a cool pair in the drawer. Very PMA ish, man, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Per you're picture:Kermit always said "it's not easy bein' green," but he kept on doing his thing anyways! Thanks for the motivation; we're working on putting our blog into action, too. Here's to a productive week: H@ppy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God blog. We all need a PMA pick-me-up.

    ReplyDelete